About the Institute
Acitivities of the Institute
Teaching, basic and applied research in the fields of geochemistry, mineralogy, economic geology adn environmental geology, Activities include life-long education, especially of teachers of elementary and secondary schools and senior citiziens in the Third-Age University (U3V).
Ingormation related to research activities is given on the Research web site.
Institute of geochemistry, mineralogy and mineral resources
Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague
Albertov 6, 128 43 Prague 2, Czech Republic
Phone: +420 221 951 495, fax: +420 221 951 496, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
History and personages
The Institute was established in 1994 by combining the departments of mineralogy, geochemistry and crystallography and a large part of the department of deposit geology.
Prof. František Slavík
(1876 - 1957): Professor of mineralogy at the Institute of Mineralogy of the university (predecessor of the departments of mineralogy, geochemistry and crystallography), head of the Institute (1916 – 1947), Dean of the Faculty of Science of Charles University (1924 – 1925) and Rector of Charles University (1937 – 1938). He renewed the Institute after the IInd World War. He authored more than 500 original publications, primarily important works in the area of systematic and regional mineralogy.
Prof. Jaromír Koutek
(1902 - 1983): Founder and first Head of the Department of Mineral Resources (later Deposit Geology) of Charles University. He authored numerous works in deposit geology and investigated deposits particularly in Českomoravská vrchovina (Czech-Moravian Highlands) and in the area around Kutná Hora. He contributed to the modern view of the structure of the Western Carpathians. He also contributed to knowledge in hydrogeology and balneology.
Prof. Vladimír Bouška
(1933 - 2001): He established the independent field of study of Geochemistry (from 1974/1975). He worked primarily in the areas of coal geochemistry and systematic and regional mineralogy and substantially contributed to knowledge of natural glasses, especially moldavites.