Study with us
What is the study of geography at Charles University about?
We at the Geographical Institute are passionate about the complexity of the world around us, in particular about landscape, population and the interactions within and between them. As this encompasses a wide array of issues, the education provided at our institute has a truly interdisciplinary character, allowing students to specialise in what they are most passionate about. Our departments cover the subdisciplines of physical geography and geoecology, human geography and regional development, demography, and cartography and geoinformatics. The complementarity of geography and other disciplines makes the study of geography with us a great choice also for those who specialise in a different discipline and want to broaden their understanding of its geographical aspects.
Why study with us?
Apart from opening new horizons to your thinking, we can offer many more reasons why choosing Prague for your study of geography:
- High international ranking. The QS World University Ranking by Subject ranked the School of Geography at Charles University’s Faculty of Science among the world top 100 geography schools/departments.
- Inspirational research and teaching. The Geographical Institute gathers expert scientists and passionate teachers who can help you grow. International conferences are being held at our institute, giving you an opportunity to learn more about world-class research. Our international networks allow students to study and get practical experience at our partner universities and other institutions abroad. Students can also apply for their own research projects, thus increasing their scientific impact and income for conducting research.
- Supporting environment. We aim to provide welcoming and supporting environment for the best students to thrive. New research infrastructures are being constructed. Local student associations help international students get to know the country and its culture.
- Stipend for all PhD students. Not only there are no tuition fees for both Czech and international PhD students, but they are entitled for a stipend for the four years of their full-time study. Excellent prospective students can receive higher stipend as STARs.
- Great location. Not only is Prague beautiful, but lies in the middle of Europe and is well connected to the rest of Europe and the world. As a rather small country with efficient public transportation, Czechia is a great country to discover its rich historical heritage and diverse landscape.
- Czechia is safe. Actually, it ranks in the top 10 world safest countries.