General information for applicants
The Faculty of Sciences boasts high quality teaching, an excellent research and academics who are leading professionals in their disciplines. The Faculty is divided into five principal parts, each of which is responsible for teaching and research in one of the five main subject areas practiced at the Faculty (biology, chemistry, geography, geology and environmental science).
We aim to attract highly motivated and talented students from around the world who wish to study at top level university. The international students receive the same education as the Czech students, who are selected according to a high standard. Winter and summer semesters last for at least 13 weeks, with examination periods in between them; the pregraduate students are obliged to pass up to five examinations after each semester. The main holidays are in August. The students are enrolled in September.
Organization of study
Studies at the Faculty of Sciences are intended primarily to prepare students for a professional career in science and teaching (at high schools) in biology, chemistry, geography, geology and environmental science.
Study programmes taught in Czech are free of charge. Study programmes taught in English are subjects of tuition fees.
Charles University offers paid one year intensive preparatory course of Czech language for foreigners. Those courses are designed as preparation for University study in the Czech Republic.
The faculty offers:
- Leading to a Bachelor's degree (Bc. internationally recognized Czech abbreviation for B.A. title).
- Open only in Czech language.
- Leading to a Master's degree (Mgr. internationally recognized Czech abbreviation for M.A. title)
- The most of the study programmes are opened in Czech language.
- The study programmes Ecology, Immunology and Parasitology and Infection Biology are opened in English language.
- Leading to the awarding of a Doctorate (Ph.D).
- Open in Czech and in English language too.