Dr. Alessandro Fabbrizio, Ph.D.
Institute of Petrology and Structural Geology
Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Science
Albertov 6, 128 43 Praha 2
tel.: (+420) 22195 1525
Stanford Advanced Materials (SAM) is our supplier of experiment material
I am an experimental geoscientist performing experiments at high temperatures and high pressures with the aim of understanding the evolution of a magma from its source inside the Earth to its final eruption at Earth’s surface. I am particularly interested in planetary evolution and in the study of pre- and syneruptive conditions of active magmatic systems. I am also interested in the application of micro-analytical techniques for the characterization of natural and synthetic materials.
- Influence of redox conditions on the behavior of the Highly Siderophile Elements (HSE) at mantle conditions
- Mineral/melt partitioning of heterovalent elements as proxies for the oxidation state of magmas
- Noble gas partitioning between metals and silicate liquids
- Noble gas solubility in silicate melts at high pressures
- Halogen incorporation in mantle minerals and their partitioning with aqueous fluids
- Zoning and diffusion of elements in olivine and melt inclusions to constrain the timescales of syneruptive processes
- Partitioning of radioactive elements between minerals and melts to recalculate minerals’ residence times
- REE and halogen in apatite
- Phase equilibria in magmatic systems
Application of geo-hygrometers, geo-thermometers, and geo-barometers to constrain the pre-eruptive conditions
- 03/2020-02/2022 - GAUK (Grant Agency Charles University) Project number 502120: "Experimental determination of the influence of fO2 on the apatite/melt partition coefficients".
Quantification of the partitioning behavior of the heterovalent elements between the apatite and coexisting liquids, as well as their relative abundances among oxidized and reduced species have a potential to be used as proxies for the oxidation state of magmas. The oxidation state can shed a light on the influence that changing fO2 values have on the chemical and physical properties of the magmas such as volatile solubility, phase equilibria, and viscosity. These properties, in turn, drive the eruptive styles of the volcanoes, the fluxes of volatile components from the Earth’s interior to the atmosphere, and the development of economically valuable ore deposits. The project deals with the piston-cylinder experiments and microanalysis of the experimental run products to investigate the partitioning behavior of Eu, Fe, Ce, Pb, Th and U among the apatite and melt at mantle conditions as a function of the redox conditions (fO2) and melt composition.
- 01/2018-12/2020 - GACR (Grant Agency Czech Republic) Standard Project number 18-01982S: "Experimental determination of the effect of oxygen fugacity on mineral/melt partitioning for the Highly Siderophile Elements at mantle conditions" (132000 EUR).
This innovative project aims, for the first time, to define the role of the oxygen fugacity on the partitioning behavior of the Highly Siderophile Elements (HSE), how they are incorporated in mantle minerals, during mantle melting and crystal-liquid fractionation, and how their bulk partition coefficients change with changing redox conditions. The redox state has a critical effect on the partitioning behavior of the highly siderophile elements during mantle melting. This has had long-term effects on planetary differentiation not only for the Earth, but also for the extraterrestrial bodies. This study will improve both the knowledge of the geochemical behavior of these elements during mantle melting and magma genesis, that the knowledge of differentiation processes in extraterrestrial systems, where the redox conditions are more reduced than those of the Earth, such as the Moon.
- Fabbrizio, A., Špillar, V. (2020) Methodology to derive well-calibrated thermometers: a new glass-composition geothermometer for olivine-bearing glassy samples at one atmosphere. Annals of Geophysics 63, https://doi.org/10.4401/ag-8188
- Bonechi, B., Perinelli, C., Gaeta, M., Tecchiato, V., Fabbrizio, A. (2020) Amphibole growth from a primitive alkaline basalt at 0.8 GPa: time-dependent compositional evolution, growth rate and competition with clinopyroxene. Lithos 354-355, Article 105272, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lithos.2019.105272
- Fabbrizio, A. (2019) An investigation on the zoning associated with divalent elements, P, Cr, Al and Ti in olivines from the Kilauea Iki lava lake (Hawaii). Periodico di Mineralogia 88, 185-201. DOI: 10.2451/2019PM845
- Maimaiti, M., Fabbrizio, A., Carroll, M.R., Ertel-Ingrisch, W., Abudureheman, A., Paris, E., Dingwell, D.B. (2019) Experimental study of monazite solubility in haplogranitic melts: a new model for peraluminous and peralkaline melts. European Journal of Mineralogy 31, 49-59. doi.org/10.1127/ejm/2019/0031-2801
- Arzilli, F., Fabbrizio, A., Schmidt, M.W., Petrelli, M., Maimaiti, M., Dingwell, D.B., Paris, E., Burton, M., Carroll, M.R. (2018) The effect of diffusive re-equilibration time on trace element partitioning between alkali feldspar and trachytic melts. Chemical Geology 495, 50-66. doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2018.07.035
- Fabbrizio, A., Gaeta, M., Carroll, M., Petrelli, M. (2018) Sulfur and REE zoning in apatite: the example of the Colli Albani magmatic system. European Journal of Mineralogy 30, 125-133. doi:10.1127/ejm/2018/0030-2701
- Fabbrizio, A., Bouhifd, M.A., Andrault, D., Bolfan-Casanova, N., Manthilake, G., Laporte, D. (2017) Argon behavior in basaltic melts in presence of a mixed H2O-CO2 fluid at upper mantle conditions. Chemical Geology 448 , 100-109. doi:10.1016/j.chemgeo.2016.11.014
- Clesi, V., Bouhifd, M.A., Bolfan-Casanova, N., Manthilake, G., Fabbrizio, A., Andrault, D. (2016) Effect of H2O on metal-milicate partitioning of Ni, Co, V, Cr, Mn and Fe: Implications for the oxidation state of the Earth and Mars Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 192, 97-121. doi:10.1016/j.gca.2016.07.029
- Newcombe, M., Fabbrizio, A., Zhang, Y., Ma, C., LeVoyer, M., Guan, Y, Eiler, J., Saal, A., Stolper, E.M. (2014) Chemical zonation in olivine-hosted melt inclusions. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 168:1030, doi:10.1007/s00410-014-1030-6
- Fabbrizio, A., Stalder, R., Hametner, K., Günther D. (2013) Experimental chlorine partitioning between forsterite, enstatite and aqueous fluid at upper mantle conditions. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 121, 684-700 doi:10.1016/j.gca.2013.05.026
- Fabbrizio, A., Stalder, R., Hametner, K., Günther, D., Marquardt, K. (2013) Experimental halogen partitioning between olivine, pyroxenes and aqueous fluid at 2 GPa and 900 to 1300°C.Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 166, 639-653. doi:10.1007/s00410-013-0902-5
- Lacalamita, M., Schingaro, E., Scordari, F., Ventruti, G., Fabbrizio, A., Pedrazzi, G. (2011) Substitution mechanisms and implications for the estimate of water fugacity for Ti-rich phlogopite from Mt. Vulture, Potenza, Italy. American Mineralogist 96, 1381-1391. DOI: 10.2138/am.2011.3772
- Fabbrizio, A., Schmidt, M.W., Günther, D., Eikenberg, J. (2010) Ra-partitioning between phlogopite and silicate melt and 226Ra/Ba-230Th/Ba isochrones. Lithos 114, 121-131. doi:10.1016/j.lithos.2009.08.004
- Fabbrizio, A., Scaillet, B., Carroll, M.R. (2009) Estimation of pre-eruptive magmatic water fugacity in the Phlegrean Fields, Naples, Italy. European Journal of Mineralogy 21, 107-116. DOI: 10.1127/0935-1221/2009/0021-1873
- Fabbrizio, A., Schmidt, M.W., Günther, D., Eikenberg, J. (2009) Experimental determination of Radium mineral/melt partitioning for feldspars and 226Ra-disequilibrium crystallization ages of plagioclase and alkali-feldspar. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 280, 137-148. doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2009.01.022
- Fabbrizio, A., Carroll, M.R. (2008) Experimental studies of the differentiation process and pre-eruptive conditions in the magmatic system of Phlegrean Fields (Naples, Italy). Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 171, 88-102. doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2009.01.022
- Fabbrizio, A., Schmidt, M.W., Günther, D., Eikenberg, J. (2008) Experimental determination of radium partitioning between leucite and phonolite melt and 226Ra-disequilibrium crystallization ages of leucite. Chemical Geology 255, 377-387. doi:10.1016/j.chemgeo.2008.07.008
- Fabbrizio, A., Rouse, P.J., Carroll, M.R. (2006) New experimental data on biotite + magnetite + sanidine saturated phonolitic melts and application to the estimation of magmatic water fugacity.American Mineralogist 91, 1863-1870. DOI: 10.2138/am.2006.2055