Charles University, Faculty of Science
Department of Physical Geography and Geoecology
Albertov 6, 128 43 Praha 2, Czech Republic
Phone: (+420) 221 951 361
Office: 3. floor, No. 344
My research interests are in geomorphology, particularly in natural hazards and risks and neotectonics. My most recent studies deal with glacial lake outburst floods (GLOFs) and rainfall triggered landslides. Regionally, I am focused on high mountain areas, mainly in the Peruvian Andes, Europe and some studies were performed in the Ethiopian Highlands. Currently, I am working on topics relating to Central Asia. My research is performed under the International Consortium on Landslides (ICL) or the International Consortium on Geodisaster Reduction (ICGdR).
- Geomorphology (guarantor)
- Natural Hazards and Risks (guarantor),
- Regional Geography of Europe (guarantor),
- Global Systems,
- Introduction into Geographical Studies
Papers with IF
- Vilímek V., Klimeš J., Ttito Mamani R,V., Bastante Abuhadba J., Astete Victoria F., Champi Monterroso P.Z., (2020): Contribution of the collaborative effort of the Czech WCoE to landslide risk reduction at the Machupicchu, Peru. Landslides. 17, 2683-2688.
- Baťka J., Vilímek V., Štefanová E., Cook S.J., Emmer A. (2020): Glacial Lake Outburst Floods ( GLOFs) in the Cordillera Huayhuash, Peru: Historic Events and Current Susceptibility. Water, 12, Issue 10, October 2020, Article Number 2664; pages 1-17.
- Burda J, Veselý M., Řehoř M., Vilímek V. (2018): Reconstruction of a large run-out landslide in the Krušné hory Mts. (Czech Republic). Landslides, 15, 3, 423-437.
- Emmer A., Vilímek V., Zapata M.L. (2018): Hazard mitigation of glacial lake outburst floods in the Cordillera Blanca (Peru): The effectiveness of remedial works. Journal of Flood Risk Management, 11, 5489-5501.
- Tacconi C., Vilímek V., Emmer A., Catani F. (2018): Morphological analysis and features of the landslide dams in the Cordillera Blanca. Landslides, 15, 3, 507-521.
- Emmer A., Klimeš J., Mergili M., Vilímek V., Cochachin A. (2016): 882 lakes of the Cordillera Blanca: An inventory, classification, evolution and assessment of susceptibility to outburst floods. Catena, 147, 269-279.
- Emmer A., Loarte E., Klimeš J., Vilímek V. (2015): Recent evolution and degradation of the bent Jatunraju glacier (Cordillera Blanca, Peru). Geomorphology, 228, 1, 345-355.
- Vilímek V., Emmer A., Huggel Ch., Schaub Y., Würmli S. (2014): Database of glacial lake outburst floods (GLOFs) – IPL Project No. 179. Landslides, 11, 1, 161-165.
- Emmer A., Vilímek V. (2014): New method for assessing the susceptibility of glacial lakes to outburst floods in the Cordillera Blanca, Peru. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 18, 3461-3479.
- Vilímek V., Zvelebil J., Klimeš J., Patzelt Z., Astete F., Kachlík V., Hartvich F. (2007): Geomorphological research of large-scale slope instability at Machu Picchu, Peru. Geomorphology 89, 241-257.
- Vilímek V., Zapata M. L., Klimeš J., Patzelt Z., Santillán N. (2005): Influence of glacial retreat on natural hazards of the Palcacocha Lake area, Peru. Landslides, 2, 2, 107-115.
- Vilímek V., Wang F., Strom A., Sassa K., Bobrowsky P., Takara K. eds. (2021): Understanding and Reducing Landslide Disaster Risk Reduction. Catastrophic Landslides and Frontiers of Landslide Science, Springer. Vol. 5, 427 p.
- Mikoš M., Vilímek V., Yupeing Y., Sassa K. eds (2017): Advancing Culture of Living with Landslides. Landslides in Different Environment. Springer, 589 p., ISBN 978-3-319-53482-4.
- since 2020: vice-president of International Consortium on Landslides (ICL)
- 2020: member of the evaluation panel „Swiss National Science Foundation“
- 2020, 2021 member of the evaluation panel “Slovenian Research Agency”
- since 2020: financial director of International Consortium on Geodisaster Reduction
- 2019, 2020: UNESCO Chair 2020 Field School on Geoenvironmental Disaster Reduction at Shimane University, Japan.
- 2017 – 2020: World Centre of Excellence on Landslide Risk Reduction
- 2018 - 2nd International Summer School Val Tidone/Oltrepo, Italy, 2.-6.July, 2018
- 2018 - member of the evaluation panel of British grant projects NERC-CONCYTEC
- since 2017 – member of the PhD study programme at Universita di Pavia (Italy) in Earth and Environmental Sciences
- 2016: reviewer for „Agence Nationale de la Recherche France“
- since 2013: deputy editor-in-chief Geoenvironmental Disasters (OAJ, Springer)
- since 2009: editor-in-chief Acta Universitatis Carolinae, Geographica
- since 2009: president of National Committee of International Geographical Union (IGU)
- since 2003: member of editorial board - Landslides (Springer)