Prof. RNDr. Bohumír Janský, CSc.
Charles University, Faculty of Science
Department of Physical Geography and Geoecology
Albertov 6, 128 43 Praha 2, Czech Republic
Phone: (+420) 221 951 350
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Office: 2. floor, No. 210
- Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Science
- 1997-2003 – Vice Dean of the Faculty of Science;
- 2003-2009 and since 2012 - Head of the Department of Physical Geography and Geoecology
- 1974 – Master degree (M.A.) – Geography and Biology;
- 1975 – Doctor (RNDr.), doctoral thesis "Mladotice Lake";
- 1982 – Ph.D., thesis "Influence of the diffusion sources on the water quality in the Czech part of the Elbe River basin";
- 1983 – Certificate of the postdoctoral study „Water management and water protection“, ETH Zürich, EAWAG Dübendorf (Switzerland);
- 1991 – Habilitation, thesis "Balance of the substances outflow in the Czech part of the Elbe River basin";
- 2012 – University degree Professor, Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague
- 2001 - Homo Barbatus – Czech National Committee for Hydrology Award (UNESCO) for promotion of czech hydrology in Latin America
- 2007 - The highest state honor of Peru "Exceptional Merit", with the right to use the title "Commander", for long-term educational activity at Peruvian universities and research of source area of the Amazon River
- 2008: Reconocimiento Científico (Scientific recognition). Decorated from „Colegio de Geografos del Perú“ (Association of Peruvian Geographers)
- 2009 - The Minister of Environment Award for lifelong contribution to environmental protection in the Czech Republic
Pedagogical and research activities
Physical Geography, Hydrology, Water Management and Water Protection, Oceanography, Applied Hydrology, Geography of Latin America, Seminar of Physical Geography.
Led several international expeditions and excursions in Siberia, Central Asia and Latin America.
Water Quality and Water Protection, Flood Protection, Hydrological Drought, Limnology, Natural Hazards in Mountain Areas (Peruvian Andes, Tien Shan, Pamir - Kyrgyzstan). Since 1990 he has been involved in the Magdeburg seminar on water protection. Since 1990 he has also been engaged in research in the headwaters of the Amazon region of Peru, where he led two Czech and one international expeditions. Since 2004, he has lead a research team at the Faculty of Science and a international research team in the territory of Tien Shan Mountains. The projects are focused on research of dangerous glacial lakes on the territory of Kyrgyzstan.
He was co-organizer and chairman of three international conferences "Mitigation of Natural Hazards in Mountain Areas" (Bishkek, 2009, Dusanbe, 2011 and Issyk-Kul, 2013).
Administrative and Professional Experience
- Main Guarantor of Master Study of Geography at the Faculty of Science, Charles university in Prague (since 1997);
- Member of Scientific boards of the Charles university in Prague (since 2018), Faculty of Science, (1997-2003, since 2013), Faculty of Tropical Agriculture of the Czech University of Life Sciences in Prague (since 2008);
- Editor-in-Chief of the Geografie/Geography, Journal of the Czech Geographic Society (Web of Science);
- President of the Czech National Committee for Cooperation with Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) UNESCO, Paris;
- President of the Czech Iberoamerican Society;
- President of the Czech Geographical Society (since 2014);
- Member of the Accreditation Commission of Geosciences, Ministry of Education (2010 - 2016)
Projects – Main researcher
- 1997-1999: Siltation dynamics of Mladotice Lake (Science foundation of the Charles University in Prague);
- 1998-2000: Erosion processes dynamics in the catchment and siltation of the Kadaň reservoir (Science foundation of the Charles University);
- 2000-2002: Lakes in the Czech Republic (Science foundation of the Charles University);
- 2003-2005: Atlas of lakes in the Czech Republic (Science foundation of the Czech Rep.);
- 2004 – 2006: Monitoring of high mountain glacier lakes and protection of population against catastrophic impacts of floods caused by rupture of moraine dams, Kyrgyzstan (Czech Ministry of Environment);
- 2007-2009: Natural hazards of the Amazon sources area caused by global climate change, Peru (Science foundation of the Czech Rep.);
- 2007-2010: Risk analysis and limiting the consequences of high-mountain lake dam failure, Kyrgyzstan (Czech Ministry of Environment);
- 2008-2011: Water retention on the Floodplain areas (Czech Ministry of Agriculture);
- 2013 - 2015: Two projects SedBiLa a SedLa „Die Bedeutung der Altsedimente in der Elbe und ihrer Seitenstrukturen im Abschnitt zwischen Pardubitz und der Moldau- mündung“, elaborated for Nature Conservancy and Water Protection Council of the City Hamburg, Germany.
- 2011-2013: Collaborative Linkage Grant of NATO „Glacier hazards in Kyrgyzstan: implications for ressource development and water security in Central Asia“, Head of international scientific team;
- 2013-2017: Headwaters retention potential assessment with respect to hydrological extremes (Science foundation of the Czech Rep.)
JANSKY, B. (1990): Baikal Lake. Monography. Panorama Publishing, Praha, 183 p.
JUDOVÁ, P., JANSKÝ, B. (2005): Water quality in rural areas of the Czech Republic: Key study Slapanka River catchment. Elsevier, Limnologica, No. 35, pp. 160-168. (IF)
SCHULTE, A., ALBRECHT, M., DAUT, G., WALLNER, J., JANSKÝ, B. and VAN
GELDERN, R. (2006): Analyses and assessment of the sedimentary record of Lake
Mladotice (western Czech Republic) in relation to flood events and pre- to ostcommunist change in land use. Zeitschrift für Geomorphologie (IF). Suppl.-Vol. 142, pp. 229 – 243, Berlin. Stuttgart.
SCHULTE, A., JANSKÝ, B., DAUT, G., IMLER, R., VAN GELDERN, R. (2007): Sediment dynamics from the drainage area into Lake Mladotice in relation to flood events and under the influence of pre- to post-communist landscape changes. In Schumann, A.,Pahlow, M. Eds.: Reducing the Vulnerability of Societies to Water Related Risk at the Basin Scale. Red Book IAHS, IAHS Publication 317. Special issue of Hydrol. Sciences Journal. Oxfordshire, UK, pp. 130-137.
CHALUPOVÁ, D., JANSKÝ, B. (2007): Anthropogenic Impact on Selected Oxbow Lakes in the Elbe River Floodplain. Journal of Hydrology and Hydromechanics, 55, 2, pp. 86-97. (IF)
JANSKÝ, B. et al. (2008): Los Orígenes del Amazonas (The sources of the Amazon River). Monography in Spanish. Otto Publishing, Praha, 248 p.
JANSKÝ, B., KOCUM, J. (2008): Peat bogs influence on runoff process: case study of the Vydra and Kremelna rivers basin in the Sumava mountains, southwestern Czechia. Geografie, vol. 113, Issue 4, pag. 383-399. (IF)
JANSKÝ, B., ENGEL, Z., ŠOBR, M., YEROKHIN, S., BENEŠ, V., ŠPAČEK, K. (2009): The Evolution of Petrov Lake and Moraine Dam Rupture Risk (Tien-Shan, Kyrgyzstan). Natural Hazards, 50, No. 1, pp. 83-96. (IF)
JANSKÝ, B., ENGEL, Z., ŠOBR, M. (2010): Outburst flood hazard: Case studies from the Tien - Shan Mountains, Kyrgyzstan. Limnologica, Vol. 40, No. 4, pp. 358-364 (IF)
JANSKÝ, B., SCHULTE, A., ČESÁK, J., RIOS ESCOBAR, V. (2010): The Mladotice Lake, western Czechia: The unique genesis and evolution of the lake basin. Geografie, 115, No. 3, pp. 247–265. (IF)
JANSKÝ, B., ENGEL, Z., KOCUM, J., ŠEFRNA, L., ČESÁK, J. (2011): The Amazon River headstream area in the Cordillera Chila, Peru: hydrographical, hydrological and glaciological conditions. Hydrol. Sci. Jour. 56 (1), pp. 138-151. (IF)
Čurda, J., Janský, B., Kocum, J. (2011): Vliv fyzickogeografických faktorů na extremitu povodní v povodí Vydry. Geografie, 116, No. 3, pp. 335-353. (IF)
VLČEK, L., KOCUM, J., Janský, B., ŠEFRNA, L., KUČEROVÁ, A. (2012): Retention potential and hydrological balance of a peat bog: case study of Rokytka moors, Otava river headwaters, sw. Czechia. Geografie, 117, No. 4, pp. 395 – 414. (IF)
Schulte,A., Janský, B., Česák, J. (2012): Lake Mladotice in the western Czech Republic – sediments as a geoarchive for flood events and pre‐ to postcommunist change in land use since 1872. In.: Godone D. and Stanchi S. eds.: Soil Erosion Studies. INTECH Open Access Publisher. Rijeka, N. York, Shanghai, pp. 307- 320.
Havlíková, P., Chalupová, D., Janský, B. (2012): Water Quality of Selected Fluvial Lakes in the Context of the Elbe River Pollution and Anthropogenic Activities in the Floodplain. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. Volume 184, Issue 10, Page 6283-6295 (IF)
FALÁTKOVA, K., ŠOBR, M., KOCUM, J., JANSKÝ, B. (2014): Hydrological regime of
Adygine lake, Tien Shan, Kyrgyzstan. Geografie, 119, No. 4, pp. 320–341 (IF)
SVOBODA, P., ŠOBR, M., JANSKÝ, B., VLASÁK, T. (2015): Influence of the river floodplain on the regime of the upper Lužnice River, Geografie, 120, No. 3, pp. 354–371 (IF)
Kaiglová, J., Langhammer, J., Jiřinec, P., Janský, B. & Chalupová, D. (2015). Numerical simulations of heavily polluted fine-grained sediment remobilization using 1D, 1D+, and 2D channel schematization. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 187(3), 1-18 (IF)
Brázdil, R., Trnka, M. a kolektiv (2016): Drought in the Czech lands: past, present and future. (Sucho v Českých zemích: minulost, současnost, budoucnost). Monography. (JANSKÝ, B., co-author of chapters: 3.2.1. Indexes of hydrological drought, 4. Drought variability in the Czech lands. The Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague, 400 p.
Vlček, L., Kocum, J., Janský, B., Šefrna, L., Blažková, Š. (2016): Influence of peat soils on runoff process: case study of Vydra River headwaters, Czechia. Geografie, 121, 2, 235-253 (IF).
KARÁSEK, O., Janský, B., (2016): Waterfalls oft he World (Vodopády světa). Monography. Otto Publishing, Praha, 176 p.
Kocum, J., Oulehle, F., Janský, B., Bůzek, F., Hruška, J. & Vlček, L. (2016): Geochemical evidence for peat bog contribution to streamflow generation process: case study of Vltava River headwaters, Czech Republic, Hydrological Sci. Journal,pp. 2579-2589. (IF)
BLAŽKOVÁ Š.D., BLAŽEK, V.D., JANSKÝ, B. (2017): Continuous simulation for computing design hydrographs forwater structures. Hydrological Processes. 31: 2320–2329. (IF)
DOLEŽAL, T., VLČEK, L., KOCUM, J., JANSKÝ, B. (2017): Evaluation of the influence of peat bogs restotation measures on the groundwater level: case study Rokytka peat bog, the Šumava Mountains, Czech Republic. AUC Geographica, 52, No. 2, pp. 141 – 150.
Havlíková, P., Chuman, T. & Janský, B. (2017): Comparative study of fluvial lakes in floodplains of the Elbe, Lužnice and Svratka Rivers based on hydrochemical and biological approach. Environ Monit Assess (2017) 189: 639. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-017-6354-z (IF) JANSKÝ, B. (2017): Vstupuje lidstvo do globální vodní krize? Geografické rozhledy, 27(1), 4–7.
JANSKÝ, B. (2017): Vstupuje lidstvo do globální vodní krize? Geografické rozhledy, 27(1), 4–7.
Langhammer, J., Janský, B., Kocum, J., Minařík, R. (2018): 3-D reconstruction of an abandoned montane reservoir using UAV photogrammetry, aerial LiDAR and field survey. Applied Geography, Volume 98, Pages 9-21.