The Faculty of Science Department of Demography and Geodemography at Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic, is a unique workplace with an accredited study program for all stages of the University education. Our Department has been offering Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral study programs to our students since the academic year 1990/1991.
The Bachelor’s program focuses on the study of demography in a combination with social geography, sociology, or economics. The Master’s program further explores various demography topics while being open to students from other University branches. This approach promotes diversity and fosters different ideas and approaches to solving problems. Our Doctoral students apply what they learned in previous years in their own research projects and learn how to utilize resources available for completing a successful dissertation.
The Department conducts the largest volume of demographic research in the Czech Republic. Members of the Department pursue scientific work and research on an international level and attend scientific conferences and symposia on a regular basis. The actual research is mainly focused on the changes in the population development in the Czech Republic after 1989.
Department of Demography and Geodemography is a premier workplace in the Czech Republic in terms of the international collaborative network of Europe's leading demographic research centres
Population Europe: The European Population Partnership
Department of Demography and Geodemography co-operated with the following foreign Research Institutes and Universities:
- Belgium: Institut de Démographie de l'Université Catholique de Louvain-la-Neuve,
- France: Ecole de Hautes Etudes Sociales, Paris; Université de Paris I Pantheón – Sorbonne; Université de Strasbourg,
- Netherlands: University of Amsterdam; Erasmus University of Rotterdam,
- Denmark: University of Copenhagen,
- Germany: Max-Planck Research School for Demography, Rostock; Eberhard-Karls Universität Tübingen,
- Great Britain: London School of Economics.
- France: Institut National d'Etudes Démographiques, Paris,
- Netherlands: The Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute; Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study,
- Germany: BIB (Bundesinstitut für Bevölkerungswissenschaft), Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock.