Regional and Political Geography
Characteristics of the field
The field is aimed at local, regional, macroregional, continental, and global problems of landscape sphere.
The aiming is based on the study of development of the Nature - Sociogeographical interaction on different hierarchy level. Study is aimed at regions of the Czech Republic and foreign countries as well. It gives scientific and manager training focused on:
- regional development, development of a region and regional systems
- Nature - Society interaction, sustainable development
- travelling and recreation, causes, structure, dynamics, consequences
- transformation and development of traffic systems
- geopolitical changes, globalizing of problems, and social-economic and political development of macroregions
Research topics studied at the Department
- process of European integration as a part of globalization
- global problems of the world
- borderline regions and Euroregions, outskirts areas and their development
- development of geopolitical situation
- the Czech Republic and EU
- international travel movement, streams, causes, dynamics
- Czech help abroad
Lectures, courses, and seminars
a) General colloqium of social and regional geography and demography is obligatory in the first year of PGS. The extent is 3/0, 3/0, teaching is provided by a team of lecturers of the Departments of Social Geography and Regional Development and Demography and Geodemography.
b) Some regional geography lectures of master’s study above the standard of PGS are set individually to graduates from different branches of the Faculty of Natural Sciences at Charles University. Those are mainly Socio-geographical Complexes, Local and Regional Development II, Geographical Analysis of Microregion or others according to the specialization of a student. The lectures are given at the Department of Social Geography and Regional Development.
c) According to individual specialization there are other lectures specified by a tutor. These lectures are realized either at the Faculty of Natural Sciences of the Charles University or at other universities at minimum extent of four specialized lectures with exams.
The subject-area board is available in Czech (Oborová rada). The Chairman is highlighted.