E-mail | SIS | Moodle | Helpdesk | Libraries | cuni.cz | CIS More

česky | english Log in

Information for incoming researchers

Practical information for researchers who are coming to study or work in the Czech Republic at Charles University, Faculty of Science.

To study at the Charles University Faculty of Science you will always first require an acceptance letter from the particular department where you will be working. And if your stay has not been officially agreed upon, it is not possible to issue such acceptance letter.

Atention: Each Embassy has some application system. So, call to Embassy and ask how are visa meeting organisated.

For research permit:

For a visa application you will need:

  1. Hosting agreement
  2. Written commitment of the institution
  3. An accommodation voucher and accommodation agreement (also signed by you, otherwise it is invalid)
  4. A valid travel document, with a sufficient expiration date (the passport must be valid even after the end of the stay)
  5. Criminal records check
  6. Passport pictures

For a visa application you will need the originals of these documents. The acceptance letter and accommodation voucher will be issued and sent by the Science Support Department.

You can request the following visa:

  1. Long term residence permit (for research)

Confirmation of health insurance will be demanded by Embassy.

For study permit:

For study you can have a long-term visa or residency permit, both for a period of 1 year with a processing time of 60 days. When applying you must submit the following:

  1. Confirmation of acceptance for study
  2. Confirmation of accommodation
  3. Confirmation of sufficient funds for the length of your stay
  4. Criminal check records
  5. A valid travel dopcument
  6. Passport pictures

You can request the following visa:

  1. Long term residence permit (for study) - recommended
  2. Long term visa

Confirmation of health insurance will be demanded by Embassy.

In the event that you are coming to Charles University as a PhD. student or post-doc student or researcher, you can contact Euraxess for assistance in extending your stay or visa or arranging a stay for your family. Euraxess centres can provide you with all the necessary information regarding the required documents, addresses of various offices, and deadlines. If necessary, they can also provide direct assistance. You can also contact Euraxess before coming to the CR so they can help you with your entry documents and then at any time during your stay.

At present there are three centres in the Czech Republic: Prague, Brno and Ostrava.

Complete information on arrivals, stays and departures from the Czech Republic is available on the Euraxess website in two languages CZ/EN.

Contacts for the Prague centre. 

Document Actions