Senior Electron Microscopist
Imaging Methods Core Facility (IMCF) at BIOCEV, Vestec, Czech Republic (www.biocev.eu/imcf), operated by Faculty of Science, Charles University, Czech Republic, searches for an experienced specialist/researcher in the field of electron microscopy.
The facility is a part of Czech-BioImaging (www.czech-bioimaging.cz) and Euro-BioImaging research infrastructures (https://www.eurobioimaging.eu/) and supports and assists the top biomedical research projects in Central Europe. We offer the opportunity to work in challenging and constantly developing field, with the best instrumentation for the most demanding projects.
The position will involve:
- deputy head for electron microscopy unit of IMCF
- coordination and management of EM staff, including tight collaboration with optical microscopy and flow cytometry units
- assuring long term sustainability and development of EM unit
- primary contact for open-access users requesting services in EM
- performing measurement as a service on FIB-SEM and TEM, including sample preparation, for complex user requests
- training core facility users to select and apply the appropriate techniques, using a wide range of biological specimens and experimental approaches
- participation at collaborative research projects related to electron microscopy
- capability to operate all EM core instrumentation
- serving as an expert resource for researchers needing the EM services provided by the Core Facility
- organizing and conducting teaching courses and workshops
- contributing to the implementation of new methods in order to meet with the users’ needs
- contributing to methodological parts of users’ research projects and publications
- ability to effectively communicate and professionally interact with a diverse population of scientific researchers, administrative and facilities staff, service engineers, and sales reps
- patient, responsible, and service-oriented demeanor
- the scientist will be responsible, with the support of other EM staff, for operation and maintenance of Scanning Electron Microscope with Focused Ion Beam (FIB-SEM), routine 200 kV Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM) and all equipment for sample preparation, including cryo equipment.
- the scientist will be also responsible for correlative light and electron microscopy (CLEM) projects
- the scientist will, together with other EM staff, perform and assist users with complex sample preparations.
- the scientist will contribute to teaching courses on electron microscopy and CLEM
The required qualification is Ph.D. in live sciences or related fields. The applicant should have experience with preparation of biological samples for electron microscopy and with operation of SEM and TEM microscopes. Additional experience with electron tomography, cryo-EM and electron diffraction is welcome.
The appointee will be employee of the Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague. The work is to be performed mainly in the new BIOCEV building at Vestec (15 km south from the center of Prague), but may require travelling mainly within Prague (Viničná 7, Praha 2) and to conferences and workshops.
The position is opened until a suitable candidate is found. Preferred, but not mandatory, is early start. The appointee will report to the managing scientist of the facility Aleš Benda, Ph.D.
The initial contract is for 3 years with 6 months probation period and subject to possible and probable elongation. The salary corresponds to academic staff position pay band AP2 per the internal salary tables (https://cuni.cz/UKEN-729.html ) and is a subject to negotiation.
To apply, send your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com. Received applications will be evaluated continually until a suitable candidate is found. Selected candidates will be asked to arrange at least 2 letters of reference before the interview.