About the IES
The Institute for Environmental Studies is a faculty-wide interdisciplinary department of the CU Faculty of Science which teaches and conducts research in the field of environmental protection.
The history of the Institute dates back to the 1977 when the Ministry of Education established the first five-year education program related to the environment in Czechoslovakia. In 1981, the Department of Environmental Protection and Landscape Ecology was founded and the first graduates of the program completed their studies in 1982 (in 2005 there were over 500 graduates). In 1985 the department was accredited for educating graduate students in the field of ecology.
In 1987 the department began to publish a series titled “Acta Universitatis Carolinae – Environmentalica”. In 1990 there was a change in the name and structure of the department, now known as the Institute for Environmental Studies
The Institute offers undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs of study. Technical equipment available enables teaching and research in many areas of environmental protection, particularly air, water, conservation, waste and GIS (geographic information system) applications. Presently, the Institute cooperates with numerous university departments, institutes of the Czech Academy of Science and foreign institutions, especially through joint projects and thesis/dissertation works.
Organisation structure of the Institute
phone: 22195 1068, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, room 31
phone: 22195 1901, e-mail: email@example.com, room: 31
fax: 420 224 914 803
Institute for Environmental studies, Faculty of Science, Charles University, Prague
Benátská 2, 128 01 Prague 2