Advanced polymer and organic synthesis
Advanced spectral methods
Identification and characterization of newly prepared compounds
You will receive the basic insight to the advanced organic and polymer synthesis
Basic polymer isolation and characterization
NMR, IR, Ramand spectroscopy
SEC characterization of polymers
Multiangle light scattering
and other various instruments are available in cooperation
Group of “Specialty Polymers” under the leadership of Professor
Jiří Vohlídal is focused mainly on synthesis, characterization
and functional properties of conjugated polymers and
Conjugated polymers typically polyacetylenes, polyfluorenes, polythiophenes and polyanilines. Consequent functionalization of prepared conjugated polymers is focused mainly to preparation of conjugated polyelectrolytes or introduction of luminescence probes with a scope to prepare luminescence chemosensors. Research in the field of conjugated polymers is studied in close connection to the microporous polymer group.
Conjugated polymers are synthesized by various approaches. The
simplest way of preparation of conjugated polymers is an oxidation of appropriate monomer by selected oxidative reagents. Oxidative polymerization of aniline by various oxidative reagents was studied in close details in our group.
Selected papers in this field
1) Michal Bláha, Jiří Vohlídal and Jiří Zedník, Self-doping of polyaniline prepared with the FeCl3/H2O2 system and the origin of the Raman band of emeraldine salt at around 1375cm-1, Polymer International, 67, 2015, 1801 – 1807.
2) Michal Bláha, Martin Varga, Jan Prokeš, Jiří Vohlídal et al., Effects of the polymerization temperature on the structure, morphology and conductivity of polyaniline prepared with ammonium peroxodisulfate, European Polymer Journal, 49, 2013, 3904 – 3911
3) Michal Bláha, Martina Riesová, Jiří Zedník, Jiří Vohlídal, Polyaniline synthesis with iron(III) chloride-hydrogen peroxide catalyst system: Reaction course and polymer structure study, Synthetic metals, 161, 2011, 1217 – 1225.
Another example conjugated polyacetylenes preparation.
Synthesis begins with a monomer synthesis
And consequent polymerization gave appropriate polyacelynes
Prepared polymers differ in luminescence color
Selected papers in the field of conjugated polymers:
1) Zuzana Duchoslavová, Jiří Zedník, Jan Sedláček et al., Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 212, 2011, 1802- 1814.
2) Sviatoslav Hladysh, Anastasiia Murmiliuk, Jiří Vohlídal, Jiří Zedník, Combination of phosphonium and ammonium pendant groups in cationic conjugated polyelectrolytes based on regioregular poly(3-hexylthiophene) polymer chains, European Polymer Journal, 100, 2018, 200 – 208.
3) Dmitrij Bondarev, Jiří Zedník, Influence of covalent structure and molecular weight distribution on the optical properties of alternating copolymers and oligomers with 1,2,3-triazole and 1,3,4-oxadiazole side groups, Polymer, 124, 2017, 107 – 116.
Coordination polymers belonging to a family of supramolecular systems
Selected papers in this field
 Štenclová-Bláhová P, Svoboda J, Šloufová I, et al. Alcohol-soluble bis(tpy)thiophenes: new building units for constitutional dynamic conjugated polyelectrolytes. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2018 Oct 16];17:13743–13756. Available from: http://xlink.rsc.org/?DOI=C5CP01000D.
 Bláhová P, Zedník J, Šloufová I, et al. Synthesis and Photophysical Properties of New α , Ω -Bis ( Tpy ) Oligothiophenes and Their Metallo- Supramolecular Polymers With Zn Ion Couplers Synthesis and Photophysical Properties of New α , ω -Bis ( Tpy ) Oligothiophenes and Their Metallo-Supramolecu. Soft Mater. [Internet]. 2014;12:214–229. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1539445X.2013.858358.
 Sloufova I, Vlckova B, Prochazka M, et al. Comparison of SERRS and RRS excitation profiles of [Fe(tpy)(2)](2+) (tpy = 2,2’:6’,2’’-terpyridine) supported by DFT calculations: effect of the electrostatic bonding to chloride-modified Ag nanoparticles on its vibrational and electronic structure 2. J. Raman Spectrosc. 2014;45:338–348.
 Štenclová P, Šichová K, Šloufová I, et al. Alcohol- and water-soluble bis(tpy)quaterthiophenes with phosphonium side groups: new conjugated units for metallo-supramolecular polymers. Dalt. Trans. [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2018 Oct 19];45:1208. Available from: www.rsc.org/dalton.
 Hrma M, Šichová K, Svoboda J, et al. Assembling of bis(tpy)fluorenes with Zn2+ and Fe2+ ions into metallo-supramolecular polymers with highly efficient white-light emission. Polymer (Guildf). [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2018 Oct 16];122:22–33. Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0032386117306067?via%3Dihub.
 Hladysh S, Václavková D, Vrbata D, et al. Synthesis and characterization of metallo-supramolecular polymers from thiophene-based unimers bearing pybox ligands. RSC Adv. [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2018 Oct 16];7:10718–10728. Available from: http://xlink.rsc.org/?DOI=C6RA26665G.