Methodology and Technical Support
- Standard cytogenetic techniques. e.g. karyotyping and analysis of meiosis, analysis of constitutive heterochromatin (by C- and fluorescent banding), detection of nucleolus organizing regions (by silver impregnation), G-banding
- Approaches of molecular cytogenetics including the detection of various markers, e.g. non-coding repeats, various gene clusters, whole chromosome painting, comparative genome hybridization, by FISH (in this, we cooperate closely with cytogenetic laboratories at the Institute of Entomology, Czech Academy of Sciences in České Budějovice, Veterinary Research Institute in Brno, and Institute of Animal Physiology and Genetics, Czech Academy of Sciences in Liběchov).
- Flow cytometry to establish genome sizes and whole genome base ratios of selected arachnids (in close cooperation with specialised laboratory of Masaryk University in Brno)
- Arachnid cultures as a source of specimens for our analyses
- Two research light and fluorescent microscopes (Jenaval Zeiss and Olympus BX50 with digital CCD camera)
- Specialized cytogenetic software (CellD)
- Various equippment for standard as well as molecular cytogenetics (production of chromosomal preparations, banding techniques, FISH and DNA probe preparations, etc.)